b. Nyack, NY 1979
2007 MFA Photography Columbia College Chicago
2002 BFA Photography Southampton College of Long Island University
Areas of Specialization: Photography, Installation Art
2016 – Present Adjunct Faculty, Loyola University, Chicago, IL
2015 – Present Project AIM Teaching Artist, Center for Community Arts Partnerships, Chicago, IL
2008 – Present Adjunct Faculty, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL
2013 – 2015 Digital Media Mentor, Convergence, Center for Community Arts Partnerships, Chicago, IL
2012 – 2014 Adjunct Faculty, North Eastern Illinois University, Chicago, IL
2011 – 2014 Teaching Artist, TEAM, Center for the Community Arts Partnerships, Chicago, IL
2006 – 2009 Teaching Assistant, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL
AWARDS & FELLOWSHIPS
2016 Communicator Award for Killing Season Chicago
2016 Webby Award Nominee in the NetArt category for Killing Season Chicago
2016 Part-Time Faculty Development Grant, Center for Teaching and Education, Columbia College, Chicago, IL
2015 Photolucida Critical Mass Top 50
2015 John Gutmann Fellowship Nominee
2015 Review Santa Fe Participant, Santa Fe, NM
2015 Puffin Foundation Artist Grant
2014 Convergence Academies Faculty Fellows Program Award, Columbia Community Arts Partnerships, IL
2014 Part-Time Faculty Development Grant, Center for Teaching and Education, Columbia College, Chicago, IL
2014 LRNG Grant, National Writing Project, MacArthur Foundation & Show Me Campaign
2013 Transforming Education through Arts & Media (TEAM) Fellowship, Columbia Community Arts Partnerships
2011 CIT Technology Fellowship, Columbia College Chicago
2006 – 2007 Graduate Teaching Fellowship Award
2006 Union League Civic & Arts Foundation Scholarship
2004 Graduate Opportunity Award, Columbia College Chicago
#Mass_Observation, The Violet Hour, Chicago, IL
Interventions, Technology Rotunda Gallery, SUNY Rockland Community College, Suffern, NY
Killing Season Chicago, Heuser Art Center, Bradley University, Peoria, IL
Killing Season Chicago, 9th Floor Project Space, Columbia College Chicago, IL
Killing Season Chicago, Robert F DeCaprio Art Gallery, Moraine Valley Community College, Palos Hills, IL
(re): media, Griffin Museum, Winchester, MA
Killing Season Chicago, Public Display, Logan Square, Chicago, IL
Killing Season Chicago 2010, Mess Hall, Chicago, IL
Killing Season Chicago, The Violet Hour, Chicago, IL
(re): media, Moo’s Gallery, Hudson, OH
(re): media, Packer Schopf Gallery, Chicago, IL
Cognizance, Avram Gallery, Southampton, NY
This Heat, Weinberg/Newton Gallery, Chicago, IL (curated by Meg T Noe)
Critical Mass Top 50, Arts Inkubator, Łódź, Poland (curated by Alison Nordström, Fotofestiwal Artistic Director, Łódź, Poland)
What Lies Beneath, Schneider Gallery, Chicago, IL
StrangeFire Collective: AGENCY, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO (curated by Hamidah Glasgow)
All the Days and Nights, Alumni on 5 Gallery, Columbia College, Chicago, IL (curated by Lisa Lindvay)
Chicago Style, David Weinberg Gallery, Chicago, IL (curated by Matthew Avignone)
Picturing a World without Prisons, Human Thread Gallery, Chicago, IL (curated by Mariame Kaba)
The Ex-Photo Show, 56 Avenue C, New York, NY (curated by Jeremy Zini)
Northeastern Illinois University Faculty Show, Chicago, IL
ARGUS: Organic Visual Archive, Johalla Projects, Chicago, IL
Crime Unseen, Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, IL (curated by Karen Irvine)
Returning the Gaze: Contemporary Portraits by Women, Northern Trust Bank, Chicago, IL (curated by Lily Mayfield)
Necessary Fictions, Columbia College, Chicago, IL
Critical Encounters: Images & Implication, Columbia College, Chicago, IL
Gift Of Gift Of, Spacetaker, Houston, TX 2010
Critical Encounters: Fact & Faith Faculty Exhibition, Columbia College Chicago
Critical Encounters: Fact & Fiction, Columbia College Chicago, IL
Involving Violence, School 33, Baltimore, MD
Faking It, The Art Center, Highland Park, IL
Who Gets What: A Political Show, David Weinberg Gallery, Chicago, IL (curated by Aaron Ott)
Experiencing the War in Iraq, multiple venues, RI & MA
Violence Transformed, Massachusetts State House, Boston, MA
Chicago Artists Coalition Art Open (curator’s choice), Chicago, IL
Involving Violence, Lasso Gallery at the Butcher Shop, Chicago, IL
13th Annual Women’s Exhibition, SoHo20 Gallery, New York, NY
Gameplay: Video Games in Contemporary Art Practice, Around the Coyote Gallery, Chicago, IL (curated by Jessica Cochran)
Emerging Illinois Artists ’07, McLean County Art Center, Bloomington, IL
MFA Thesis Exhibition, Glass Curtain Gallery, Chicago, IL
Union League Club Civic & Arts Foundation Scholarship Exhibition, Chicago, IL
Upstate Photo Competition, “working” Gallery, Schenectady, NY
Annual Juried Exhibition, ArtCrave Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
Light Within, Dolan Center Gallery, Locust Valley, NY
- “Class of 2020 Collaborates with Artists to Change Social Injustice,” Roberto Clemente Community Academy (blog), September 26, 2016.
- Kelli Connell, “Krista Wortendyke: The States Project: Illinois,” Lenscratch, September 21, 2016.
- Tom Renner, “Nyack Native Puts New Spin On Ghastly Images At Rockland CC Exhibit,” Orangetown Daily Voice, September 19, 2016.
- Robin Dluzen, “This Heat at Weinberg/Newton Gallery,” Art Ltd, September 2016.
- Bob Chiarito, Interview, “Chicago Artist Krista Wortendyke Uses Her Camera to Speak About Chicago Violence,” The Chicago Ambassador, August 2016.
- Leslie Renken, “Artists Address Social Justice and Political Engagement in Displays at Bradley,” The Peoria Star Journal, August 12, 2016.
- Alison Bowen, “Artwork on Gun Violence Can’t Keep Up with Chicago’s Shootings,” Chicago Tribune, July 20, 2016.
- Mark Feeney, “Bullets and Photographs at the Griffin,” The Boston Globe, January 25, 2016.
- Elin Spring, “Hitting the Mark,” What Will You Remember (blog), January 19, 2016.
- Paige Fumo Fox, “Photo Exhibit Quiet Memorial to Chicago’s Homicide Victims,” Daily Southtown of the Chicago Tribune, January 4, 2016.
- Jess T Dugan, Interview, “Q&A: Krista Wortendyke,” Strange Fire Collective (blog), November 12, 2016.
- Jonathan Blaustein, “Chicago’s Filter Photo Festival – Part 2,” aPhotoEditor (blog), October 30, 2015.
- Elin Spring, “Breaking Views From Filter Photo Festival,” What Will You Remember (blog), October 1, 2015.
- Paul Biasco, “Chicago’s ‘Killing Season’ Graphed in Murder Scene Photos Along Mega Mall,” DNA Info, August 10, 2015.
- Christy Karpinsky, “Interview,” F-Stop Magazine, Issue #61: Cities, October 2013.
- Zach Clark, “Killing Season Chicago,” Composite Arts Magazine, Issue #12: Pattern, (Summer 2013). 64-78.
- Theo Constatino, Interview, “An Innate Drive to Explore Ideas,” Paradigm Magazine, January 22, 2013.
- Jason Foumberg. “Breakout Artists: Chicago’s Next Generation of Image Makers,” New City, (May 3, 2012): 6-10.
- Tara Kelly. “Artist Krista Wortendyke’s (re): media’ Explosion of Collages Examine Perceptions of War,” Huffington Post, January 24, 2012.
- Olivia Solon. “In Pictures: Collages Question Our Perception of War,” Wired Magazine (wired.co.uk), January 18, 2012.
- Philip A Hartigan. “Can We Trust a Photograph?” Hyperallergic, November 25, 2011.
- Jason Foumberg, “Eye Exam: On Happiness and Violence,” New City, (November 17, 2011): 8.
- Lauren Viera, “Killing Season Yields Public Art,” Chicago Tribune, (July 21, 2011): 68-69.
- Jeff McMahon, “Keeping Chicago’s Body Count in the Killing Season,” True/Slant (blog), July 5, 2010.
- Michael Weinstein. “Review Krista Wortendyke/Packer Schopf Gallery,” New City, July 20, 2009.
- Michael Weinstein, “Tip of the Week – Who Gets What: A Political Show,” New City, (September 11, 2008): 14.
- Jason Foumberg, “A Mirror at the Event Horizon,” New City, (August 20, 2007): 14.
From Fact to Fiction: War Reportage Transforming. Chicago: Columbia College Chicago, 2007.
VISITING ARTIST LECTURES/PRESENTATIONS/CRITIQUES
2016 Lecture, SUNY Rockland Community College, Suffern, NY
2016 Lecture & Graduate Critiques, Slane College of Communications and Arts, Bradley University, Peoria, IL
2016 Lecture, Moraine Valley Community College, Palos Hills, IL
2012 Lecture, SUNY Rockland Community College, Suffern, NY
2011 Panel Discussion, Filter Photo Festival, Chicago, IL
2011 Lecture, DePaul University, Chicago IL
2010 Lecture, Western Reserve Academy, Hudson, OH
2010 Artist Residency, ACRE, Steuben, WI
2008 Artist Residency, Harold Arts, Chesterhill, OH
2016 I Witness: Activist Art & Social Movement Politics, Heuser Art Gallery & Hartmann Center Gallery, Bradley University, Peoria, IL (juror)
2011 Manifest B.A. + B.F.A. Exhibition, Columbia College Chicago, IL (curator)
2007 Relative Closeness, Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, IL (curatorial assistant)
Museum of Fine Arts Houston
Museum of Contemporary Photography